Interactive decision-making game
Created by theatre-makers Coney | Commissioned by Imperial War Museums
Suitability: KS4, SEN students working at KS4 or above
Branch: IWM Duxford
Duration: 60 minutes
Cost: £100 per group (min 16 - max 30 students, max 3 sessions per day).
Bookings between September – December 2018 are now open.
Fill out the Schools Visit Request Form to make a booking.
This interactive session investigates Cold War History, decision-making and consequences for Key Stage 4.
“A great way to gain an understanding of the difficult decisions the leaders of the USA and USSR had to make during the Cold War and the level of trust and mistrust that they had.” – Key Stage 4 Teacher
Could your students lead America or the Soviet Union to survival through the Cuban Missile Crisis during the Cold War? How would they react if the future of the world depended on their decision to cooperate…or not?
Using video, game theory and roleplay students are recruited by American scientists to explore decision-making in the context of The Cold War. In the shadow of IWM’s historic collection play ‘The Prisoner’s Dilemma’, a real-life thought experiment employed by the global think-tank the RAND Corporation in 1950, which will allow them to uniquely examine the challenges facing both sides in an age of potential nuclear armageddon.
This innovative programme allows active exploration of curriculum subjects in relation to real historic artefacts within the museum.
*Please note this experience is led by you as the group leader, and will not be facilitated by a member of the IWM team.
- Use game play to investigate decision making in the Cold War
- Deepen understanding about the consequences of the Cold War using primary sources
- Consider the consequences of decisions made during the course of the Cold War, and how they continue to impact society today
- KS3 History: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day
How To Make A Booking
- Fill out the Schools Visit Request Form
- You will receive a response within ten working days
- Please don't make travel arrangements until you have received a confirmation email with your Visit Confirmation Letter attached
- Read the booking Terms and Conditions
- Read Teacher Notes for The Cold War: Shadow of the Future