Explore the former RAF fighter station that was used during both the First and Second World Wars. IWM Duxford is home to an impressive collection of over two hundred aircraft as well as tanks, military vehicles and maritime craft.
IWM Duxford is undergoing lots of exciting changes in the coming months. As a result, some spaces will be temporarily closed and some items will be moved to new spaces. Keep an eye on our webpages and for up to date information on What's Here ahead of your visit and our Meet & Greet volunteers will also be happy to help you on the day.
What to see
As part of your visit you can explore:
- AirSpace - Highlights changes in design, technology and materials in aircraft construction and has a good selection of First and Second World War aeroplanes, post war jets, civilian aircraft and other forms of transport.
- Battle of Britain - See exhibitions linked to the air defence of Britain from the First World War to the Cold War. With a special focus on the Battle of Britain in particular.
- 1940 Operations Room - Visit the historic Operations Block, Duxford's nerve centre during the Battle of Britain, explore the vital role of this building and the personal stories of the men and women who worked here during the aerial campaign of 1940. For schools wishing to visit the Operations Room as part of their visit, please be advised that capacity in this space is limited.
- Land Warfare - Wander through themed landscapes to discover how fighting on the land has changed from the First World War through to modern conflicts, a great place for looking at mechanisms and transport. Also features the Royal Anglian Regiment Museum.
- American Air Museum – the American Air Museum is a great place to support learning on Superpower Relations and Cold War, including Vietnam. The collection is also fantastic for those studying STEM subjects.
- Conservation in Action - Chat to the team in our Conservation in Action hangar working to safeguard the history of our large museum objects, find out how we protect our objects for future generations to experience and enjoy. See our updated engine display with photos and film footage. Recommended for those studying STEM subjects.
For further information visit our What to See page
What do we offer to booked groups and schools?
- Free coach parking
- A room for lunch (subject to availability)
- Visit resources and printable activities
Planning your visit
- We offer two tickets for teachers to conduct pre-visit planning. To book your visit please email [email protected] with the date and IWM branch you would like to visit.
- Write your risk assessment
- You might also want to use our free activity trails and digital learning resources to inspire your self-guided visit.
- IWM Duxford map
- Read our Terms and Conditions
- Visit the IWM Duxford Pre-Visit webpage for more information.