Created by digital theatre-makers Non Zero One | Commissioned by Imperial War Museums
Gallery based including First World War, Second World War or post 1945
Suitability: Year 6 – Year 11 (KS2, KS3, KS4), SEN students working at KS3 or above.
Branch: IWM North
Duration: 60 minutes
Cost: £100 per group (min 16 - max 30)
Bookings are now open.
Fill out the Schools Visit Request Form to make a booking.
This interactive session asks students to use historical enquiry skills to make a mini-documentary to question, consider, debate and evaluate sources.
‘An incredible way for students to learn. The opportunity to explore, be creative, make choices, voice their thoughts and do so with the rigidness of having to know an examiners mark scheme. Teachers crave being able to support students in learning this way. A wonderful experience!’ – Key Stage 3 Teacher
‘A thoroughly 21st century learning event which genuinely helps to develop historical and deeper understanding of the past.’ – Key Stage 3 Teacher
Which stories are too important to be kept inside the museum? What deserves more attention from the wider world? Who is telling the story and why?
Students will receive their brief from professional documentary filmmakers at SMASH TV. They then have 45 minutes to create documentaries to reveal hidden stories, create narratives, and convey their argument.
This innovative programme allows active exploration of curriculum subjects in relation to real historic artefacts within the museum.
- Use primary sources as evidence to construct, illustrate and present an argument
- Develop communication and presentation skills through filmmaking
- Deepen understanding about the impact of conflict on people’s lives in the past and relevance to society today
- KS3 History Curriculum: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day.
How To Make A Booking
- Fill out the Schools Visit Request Form
- You will receive a response within ten working days
- Please don't make travel arrangements until you have received a confirmation email with your Visit Confirmation Letter attached
- Read the booking Terms and Conditions
- Read Teachers Notes for Documentary Challenge