Age 13-14 (KS3)Age 14-16 (KS4)
This online resource introduces students to the Holocaust through IWM London’s Holocaust Exhibition. Explore the stories and collection items from the Holocaust Exhibition in your classroom or at home by clicking here.
This resource has been specially created for schools, providing a digital version of IWM London’s Holocaust learning session to support students and teachers to learn about the Holocaust while they are unable to visit IWM’s branches.
The resource re-purposes the IWM London learning session audio-guide tour of the Holocaust Exhibition, and is made up of four playable sections which use original sources from IWM’s unique collections; audio, film, photos and objects, to bring the stories in the exhibition to the classroom.
The Holocaust Exhibition Online
This online resource introduces students to the Holocaust through IWM London’s Holocaust Exhibition. Explore the stories and collection items from the Holocaust Exhibition in your classroom or at home.
Detailing suggestions about follow-up activities to do and discussion points to have with your class, including recommendations for further study about the Holocaust.
Using the Resource
Although designed to run consecutively, all of the sections can be played separately and paused at any time for classroom discussion. The total running time of the resource is 39 minutes.
Once you have launched the resource, each tour will need downloading. This happens automatically when you click on a section. The downloads will remain on your device for four hours and once downloaded, it will work offline. The resource is optimised for use on all desktop and tablet devices.
To find out more about IWM’s sources in the resource, most can be found on IWM Collections Online page.
Chapters and Running Times
1. Full Resource (39 minutes)
2. An Introduction to the Holocaust (12 minutes)
3. The Start of the Second World War (6 minutes)
4. Implementing the Final Solution (16 minutes)
5. Survival Stories (5 minutes)
Curriculum Links and Learning Objectives
- KS3/4 - Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day
- GCSE - Warfare and British society, c1250–present and London and the Second World War, 1939–45.
- To increase students’ knowledge of the chronology of the Holocaust, deepening their understanding of events in Nazi-occupied Europe and beyond.