After their successful conquest of Greece in April 1941, the Germans turned their attention to the island of Crete. Its capture would give them a useful base in the eastern Mediterranean and deny its use to the British. Hitler was more concerned with his forthcoming invasion of the Soviet Union, but he approved of General Kurt Student's plan for a daring airborne attack using his elite Luftwaffe parachute and glider-borne forces.

There were about 40,000 British, Dominion and Greek troops on Crete, many of whom had been evacuated from Greece. 'Creforce', as it was known, was commanded by the New Zealander Major-General Bernard Freyberg VC. The mountainous island was difficult to defend and Freyberg had no aircraft – only a handful of tanks and few radios. Despite this, intelligence gave him ample warning of the German attack and he had powerful support from the Royal Navy. These two crucial advantages offered the possibility of winning a morale-boosting victory.


Paratroops boarding a Junkers 52

German mountain troops of the 5th Gebirgs-Division boarding a Junkers 52 at a Greek airfield, before flying to Crete, 20 May 1941. On that morning 3000 German paratroops landed at Maleme, Rethymno, Chania and Heraklion.

The German plan hinged on quickly capturing the airfields of MalemeRethymno and Heraklion so that reinforcements could be flown in by air. But Freyberg misinterpreted his intelligence and placed too much emphasis on a seaborne invasion, which in reality was only a minor part of the German scheme. He deployed most of his troops to meet this threat and crucially left the largest and most important airfield at Maleme exposed on its western side.

Operation 'Merkur' (Mercury) began on the morning of 20 May, when German glider and parachute troops were dropped around Maleme and Chania in the west. Some landed among Allied defensive positions and suffered heavy casualties in hand-to-hand fighting. Others were shot in their harnesses before they even reached the ground. Later that day a second wave of parachutists descended around Rethymno and Heraklion. They too suffered heavy losses and many German transport aircraft were shot down.



A blazing German troop-carrier (JU-52), hit by machine-gun fire from an entrenchment adjacent to the bombed area during the invasion of Crete, May 1941. Parachute troops and equipment are seen descending.
German paratroopers dropping from Junkers Ju 52s over Crete, 20 May 1941.

German paratroopers dropping from Junkers Ju 52s over Crete, 20 May 1941. One of the aircraft burns after being hit by ground fire. The Germans lost 150 transport aircraft during the operation.

By the end of the day, the Germans had gained none of their objectives. It appeared the operation had been a costly failure. But Allied communications had broken down and Freyberg and his commanders – still expecting an assault from the sea – made a crucial mistake. Instead of committing their reserves to an immediate counterattack against Maleme, they sanctioned a withdrawal, effectively giving up control of the airfield. This was the tipping point. On the second day the Germans threw everything at Maleme, with troop carriers landing and disembarking in the face of British artillery fire.

The battle continued for several more days, but as further German units arrived the British position became hopeless. On 27 May Freyberg ordered an evacuation. The Royal Navy, which had already lost ships to air attacks while engaging German troop convoys from Greece, now suffered further losses as it evacuated troops. Between 28 May and 1 June, 18,000 Australian, New Zealand and British troops were evacuated. 


New Zealand forces after evacuation from Crete

Maori troops line up on the quayside at Alexandria in Egypt following their evacuation from Crete. Between 28 May and 1 June 1941, 18,000 Australian, New Zealand and British troops were rescued by the Royal Navy following a week of bitter fighting against German airborne forces.
Maori troops line up on the quayside at Alexandria in Egypt following their evacuation from Crete.

Maori troops line up on the quayside at Alexandria in Egypt following their evacuation from Crete.

Crete was a humiliating defeat for the British. Almost 4,000 men were killed and over 11,000 more captured. Enemy air power had been decisive. But the Germans had been badly mauled too, with over 3,000 dead. Hitler declared that 'the day of the parachutist is over'. For the Germans it was –they would never again attempt another major airborne operation.

Listen to an interview

Two ships in Suda Bay, Crete, are burning after being hit be German bombers in June 1941.
© IWM E 3138E

John William Clayton served with the 23rd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery on Crete in 1941. Interviewed by IWM in 1992, John describes his experiences of the German invasion, fighting alongside Maori troops from New Zealand, and life as a prisoner of war. 

Listen to the full interview

Related Content

Soldiers of 'A' Company, 11th Battalion, the Cheshire Regiment, occupy a captured German trench at Ovillers-la-Boisselle on the Somme.
© IWM (Q 3990)
Western Front

What Was the Battle of the Somme?

The Battle of the Somme (1 July - 18 November 1916) was a joint operation between British and French forces intended to achieve a decisive victory over the Germans on the Western Front. For many in Britain, the resulting battle remains the most painful and infamous episode of the First World War. 

Western Front

What Was The Battle Of Verdun?

The Battle of Verdun (21 February-15 December 1916) became the longest battle in modern history. It was originally planned by the German Chief of General Staff, Erich von Falkenhayn to secure victory for Germany on the Western Front. 

The bow and stern of HMS INVINCIBLE sticking out of the water as the battlecruiser sinks during the battle of Jutland after she was hit five times by shells from the German battlecruisers DERRFLINGER and LUTZOW, the last hit blowing the roof off "Q" turret and setting fire to the cordite propellant, the flash soon spread to the magazine and INVINCIBLE was ripped in two by the explosion.
First World War

What Was The Battle Of Jutland?

The Battle of Jutland (31 May - 1 June 1916) was the largest naval battle of the First World War. It was the only time that the British and German fleets of 'dreadnought' battleships actually came to blows.