28 May 2024
Churchill War Rooms
£20 Talk and Q&A Only
D-Day with James Holland
My IWM offers the opportunity to join an exclusive tour of the Churchill War Rooms with acclaimed historian and author James Holland.
Go behind the glass into the secret, underground rooms of Churchill's bunker and learn from James Holland about how these rooms were woven into the preparation, planning and execution of Operation Overlord.
MY IWM: Tour tickets are now sold out.
You can still join James Holland at 8pm for the Talk and Q&A session at Churchill War Rooms. Talk and Q&A only tickets are advance booking only and are selling fast.
About James Holland
James Holland is an internationally acclaimed historian, writer, and broadcaster. The author of a number of best-selling histories, including Brothers In Arms: One Legendary Tank Regiment's Bloody War from D-Day to VE-Day, Normandy ’44: D-Day and the Battle for France and The Savage Storm: The Battle for Italy 1943. He has also presented and written a number of television programmes and series.
James presents has a weekly Second World War podcast, We Have Ways of Making You Talk, with Al Murray, and is a research fellow at St Andrew’s University and a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He is also the Co-Founder and Creative director of the annual Chalke History Festival in the UK.
About Your Ticket
There are two available ticket types for My IWM events:
Churchill War Rooms tour, talk and Q&A with James Holland
- Join historian and We Have Ways of Making You Talk podcast host James Holland at 6.30pm for an intimate behind the glass tour of Churchill War Rooms, exploring the Map Room and Cabinet Room preserved as it was left at the end of the Second World War.
- James will share with you why this period of history matters to him, from discovering extraordinary real-life stories, to understanding the often-difficult decisions undertaken in these rooms that made history.
- Your ticket includes the opportunity to join James afterwards for a conversation with a Q&A to debate and discuss the stories you have shared together.
Talk and Q&A only: Churchill War Rooms and D-Day
- Join James Holland at Churchill War Rooms from 8pm for a conversation about the role these secret rooms, now conserved by Imperial War Museums, played in the planning and execution of D-Day.
- Joining you and James Holland will be James Bulgin, IWM's Head of Public History. With an extensive knowledge of the museum, he will help bring the stories from these historic objects to life for you.
- There are two ticket prices available.
- Please check you have selected the correct ticket option and times when you book your place.
- One carer goes free to assist a disabled visitor.
- Tickets for the My IWM tour starting at 6:30pm are now sold out.
- Tickets for the 8pm Talk and Q&A session with James Holland are still available but selling fast.
|Adult - aged 16+
My IWM - Including exclusive tour, talk and Q&A session
Ticket includes admission to the tour of the historic rooms from 6.30pm with James Holland, and the talk and Q&A from 8pm. To book both the talk and tour – please select time slot 18:30 – 21:30.
My IWM - Talk and Q&A session only
Ticket allows entry to the talk and Q&A only from 8pm. It does not include the earlier tour. To book your space please select time slot 20:00 – 21:30.
About the Venue
Churchill War Rooms house both the underground nerve centre where the British government directed the Second World War, including the rooms where strategic decisions regarding the D-Day landings were made.
Walk the once top-secret corridors and follow in the footsteps of the men and women who worked here during Britain's darkest hours, see personal effects left untouched for decades, and explore the life of one of Britain's most formidable figures.