Normal Ticket £45, Gift Experience £60
Sit in our Spitfire
Sit in our Spitfire
Sit at the controls of an airworthy combat veteran Spitfire Mark 1.
Join one of our expert IWM guides in a unique opportunity to sit inside the cockpit of our very special Spitfire, N3200.
Get a sense of how Squadron Leader Geoffrey Stephenson would have felt climbing into the pilot's seat before flying this very aircraft over Dunkirk with 19 Squadron in 1940.
N3200 is now based at Duxford, the same airfield it took off from before it was shot down, crash landing on a beach and sinking into the sand.
The aircraft was eventually recovered and restored over 45 years later, and is now a treasured item in IWM's collection.
The experience will begin with a 20-minute talk outside the aircraft exploring the history of N3200, including its role at Dunkirk and subsequent restoration to flying condition. We will also take a wider look at the role of Fighter Command in the Battle of Britain and the important role played by Spitfires in the summer of 1940.
You’ll then spend 15 minutes inside the cockpit where our expert will show you the controls and you can immerse yourself in the conditions experienced by the brave men of Fighter Command. There will also be a chance for family and friends to take your photo while in the cockpit.
Tickets will be emailed straight away for visitors to print themselves or show on their phone.
Give the incredible experience of In the Cockpit to a loved one to celebrate a special occasion. You can now buy this exciting experience in a gift tin with a card informing them of their unique opportunity to sit in Spitfire N3200, along with a pair of our IWM Spitfire socks.
A ticket for the experience will be included in the tin along with the Spitfire socks and the printed explanation of the experience.
Please read all of the important information regarding the In the Cockpit experience below before booking.
Ticket does not include admission to IWM Duxford, which must be purchased separately here.
Unfortunately we cannot deliver gift experiences outside of the UK, including the Channel Islands, though gift experience packs may be collected on the day.
- Each time slot is for one person as we are only able to allow access to the aircraft one at a time. If you are looking to book for more than one person, we'd recommend that you book consecutive time slots.
- Although the cockpit experience is primarily aimed at an adult audience, we are happy to allow children aged 12 and over to participate. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, they are not available to purchase on the day.
- Ticket does not include admission to IWM Duxford, which must be purchased separately here.
- Access to the inside of the Spitfire is limited due to the nature of the aircraft.
- To access the cockpit, you must be physically fit to be able to climb via a step onto the wing and then into the cockpit.
- If your guide feels it is not safe or possible for you to access the cockpit of the Spitfire, then we reserve the right to refuse access.
- Customers who have a concern regarding their ability to access the aircraft should contact us in advance to discuss their needs.