- Who we are and purpose of this policy
Imperial War Museums (IWM) is the UK’s national museum for the history of conflict involving UK and Commonwealth forces from 1914
We are a global authority on conflict and its impact on people’s lives. We collect objects and stories that give an insight into people’s experiences of war, we preserve them for future generations, and we bring them to today’s audiences in the most powerful way. By giving a platform to these stories, we aim to help people understand why we go to war and the effect that conflict has on people’s lives.
We are funded in part by Government, but generate the majority of our own funding to enable the work we do. To help achieve this, we are supported by the IWM Trading Company Limited, which oversees the commercial aspects of our operation including the Membership Scheme. Your data is, therefore, jointly held by Imperial War Museums and the IWM Trading Company Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Imperial War Museums. Whenever we mention IWM in this policy, we mean both organisations.
- Tell you about how your data is used, either at the time we collect it (if we collect it directly from you) or as soon as is practical afterwards (if we collect it from a third party).
- Keep it securely and make it available only to those within the organisation who need to see it. Where we share data with other organisations, we will tell you first wherever possible (sometimes there may be legal reasons not to).
- Where your data is processed by other organisations on our behalf, make sure that the processing is clearly defined, secure and governed by a contract.
- Respect your rights over your personal data.
- Inform you about major changes to this policy.
This policy is effective from 01 January 2021. It is a revised version of the original policy of the 25th May 2018
- Who this policy covers
This policy covers IWM Members, Friends of Duxford and Friends of IWM who have converted their membership to IWM’s Membership scheme.
It also gives further details about how information relating to former Friends of Duxford and Friends of IWM who have not converted their membership will be managed.
3. Who to contact with questions about how your data is used
IWM’s Data Protection Officer is Jon Card, the Executive Director of Collections and Governance, who manages IWM’s Information Governance team.
If you have any queries about the content of this policy, or how your data is managed, you can contact him and the IWM’s Information Governance team at [email protected] or by post at Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London SE1 6HZ (marking the envelope for the attention of the Data Protection Officer). You can also contact him by phone by calling IWM’s main switchboard on (020) 7416 5000.
You can also contact the Membership team directly at [email protected] or (020) 7091 3000
4. Your rights over your information
You have the right to:
- Have a copy of the personal information IWM holds about you.
- Correct inaccurate information or have incomplete information completed.
- Have your data erased (‘right to be forgotten or ‘right to erasure’) in certain circumstances.
- Restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Data portability – have your information supplied in a commonly used format and transmitted to another organisation.
- Object to the processing of your personal information.
- Object to automated decision making or profiling.
Further information on these rights can be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s website at: https://ico.org.uk/
You can exercise these rights by contacting the IWM’s Data Protection Officer as detailed in Section 2 above.
If you are unhappy about the response you receive from IWM, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s office by writing to the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or via their website at https://ico.org.uk/
5. Where your information is stored
We store your information in a number of systems, held on the IWM network and in the cloud. Most of the information you provide us with for membership is stored in our Customer Relationship Management system.
If your personal information is stored on IWM’s behalf by an external company, it will always be protected by a contract that sets out how the personal information is to be managed – and that contract will guarantee that your personal information will be secure and always have the protection required by Data Protection legislation.
6. How we use your information for Membership
We only collect the personal information we capture from you to help administer your Membership, to personalise your experience of Membership and to develop our Membership offer.
How we collect your information for Membership
We will collect information from you:
- When you sign up to become a member
- When you complete a Gift Aid declaration for your membership
- Each time you use your card to visit a branch or exhibition or to access member benefits.
- When you book tickets for IWM events
- When you make a purchase in the IWM shop
- When you log in to your membership account online, when this function is available.
- When you interact with and respond to IWM emails
- When you contact the membership team directly in person, by phone, post or by email.
- If you have transferred your membership from the Friends of IWM or the Friends of Duxford, we will also transfer your old membership data to the new scheme.
What information we collect
- Name(s) and address, email, phone number(s) and other relevant contact details.
- Declaration of UK taxpayer status (if you choose to Gift Aid your donation)
- Areas of interest that you share with us on joining and/or through surveys and feedback.
- Records of transactions with IWM when using your membership to access branches, purchase event tickets and access member discounts.
- Records of interactions with IWM through attendance at IWM branches and events.
- Information about your relationship with IWM through direct correspondence and interactions with membership emails.
How we use your information for Membership
We will use the information we collect from you to effectively process and service your membership in order to fulfil the contract we have with you and to comply with legal obligations relating to financial management and auditing. This will include:
- Sending you your membership welcome pack and associated communications on joining.
- Sending you information about your membership renewal.
- Checking Direct Debit details and processing payments, including collecting outstanding amounts linked to any cancellations or lapsed payments
- Calculating and claiming Gift Aid on your membership, where you have chosen this option (for more information see our FAQs)
- Sharing regular updates via Member e-News emails and newsletters. These will include information about IWM, your membership, how to access your benefits and how to get further involved in supporting IWM. All membership emails will include an option for you to unsubscribe at any time.
- Processing your membership payments and ensuring transactions are recorded.
- Scanning membership cards to check entitlement to free entry and benefits.
- If you are ordering physical items for delivery, we will share your personal information with companies for the purpose of delivering your items, and to allow tracking information to be sent to you
In addition, we may use the information we collect to encourage you to renew your membership within the year that it has lapsed or to contact you for feedback on your membership experience in order to develop our offer. We may also use the information collected when scanning membership cards to help us understand how and when our members visit, whether you access our offers and to help us send you more relevant communications. On occasion we might use the information we have about you to invite you to take part in fundraising initiatives. You can opt out of this at any time.
We believe that using your data in these additional ways meets our legitimate interests and is reasonable, proportional, not unexpected or unnecessarily intrusive and does not override your basic rights.
Children under 16 are included in family memberships and are members of IWM. We collect their names and dates of birth to ensure their right to free admission at our sites. Email addresses for children under 13 are only collected with the consent of a parent or guardian. Children on family memberships are excluded from all membership communications. Member e-News emails will be sent to the adult members of the family membership only.
How long we keep your information for Membership
Membership data will be held for 6 years after it has become inactive (for the primary purpose of financial auditing but also in case you decide to reactivate your membership). This also applies to data held on Friends of IWM and Friends of Duxford.
Friends of IWM
Data held on Friends of IWM who have not transitioned over to the new IWM scheme will be kept on file for 6 years after the data became inactive (for the sole purpose of financial auditing).
7. Policy Updates
This policy was originally agreed on the 25th May 2018.
It was reviewed and reissued on the 01 January 2021, with the following changes:
- Further information about how Members’ personal data is used.
- Inclusion of information relating to the use of personal data for Gift Aid claims.
- New section on where data is stored added.