Many records are only available online, sometimes on more than one site. We have listed the main sources but there may be others. Some records are free to view but others are available on either a subscription or pay per view basis (£).

The National Archives (TNA) holds the service records for men who served up to 1922. Their service, rank and dates determine which set of records you need.

RAF personnel who served after 1922 and those who served during the Second World War – service records are held by the RAF 3rd Party Disclosure Team. Full records will be released to proven next of kin. Only very basic information about deceased service personnel will be released to other enquirers, with slightly more detail made available 25 years after the date of death. The fee is currently £30 and there may be a lengthy wait for this service. Download the application forms 

Officers’ commissions and promotions are listed in the regular official publications. IWM holds an extensive set of these publications. The Gazette also lists commissions and promotions up to the present day.

  • RFC officers - the Army List
  • RNAS officers - the Navy List - Ancestry
  • RAF officers (from 1918) - the Air Force List

Individuals who qualified as a pilot 1910-1950 - Aviators’ Certificates, some with photo, issued by the Royal Aero Club on Ancestry (£)
Courts martial records from 1918–1986 (AIR 21) are held at The National Archives.

Other things to look for:

Download our guide to tracing your Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force ancestry.