IWM continues to receive donations both of contemporary and historical material, which are added to our extensive Collections.
- If you are thinking of offering material to us, start by finding out what we are collecting.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to accept everything we are offered. If we already have good examples of an object within the Collections we are unlikely to accept more, and there are some types of objects that we almost never acquire now.
Please note we are unable to accept offers by post or in person at IWM North. If you wish to make an offer of material, we ask you to use the online donations form
Our Acquisition and Disposal Policy determines what we can collect and outlines our priorities.
- You may like to read about the objects we have acquired recently.
Our collecting decisions are influenced by various factors:
- We have particular priorities and programmes for collecting.
- Some areas of the Collections are already very well developed.
- We have to use our space and resources wisely.
- We cannot acquire material where current ownership is unknown or might be disputed.
How to offer an item for our collections:
- Please use our Donations form to tell us about the material you would like to offer IWM.
- Provide us with as much information as possible about the items themselves and how you acquired them.
- One of our specialist curators, archivists or librarians will assess your offer and contact you if interested.
- Please note, IWM receives many offers of material for the Collections and we do try to consider every one. It may take us some time to respond to you.