The effective care of collections is central to the work of IWM. Collections care is the responsibility of all our staff, but a specialised care team exists to provide support and guidance across the organisation. Proper care ensures the preservation of our unique collections for future generations.
Care of our collections includes:
- Enabling and supporting access to our collections.
- Conservation of items in preparation for exhibitions and loans.
- Managing the condition of collection items in store and on display.
- Management of pests that can cause damage to collection items (such as moths and mice).
- The safe handling, packing and transportation of collection items.
- Environmental management of galleries and stores.
- Collection disaster recovery planning.
For a behind-the-scenes look at the work of our conservators browse our picture gallery.