Untitled [Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps recruiting]
whole: the two images occupy the majority. A blank white area, intended for text, is positioned in the centre. All held
within a white border and set against a dark blue background.
image: the upper image is a three-quarter length depiction of a member of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps, dressed in uniform and saluting
with her right hand. The silhouettes of other WAAC members file through the landscape behind her, many carrying a spade over their
shoulder. The lower image depicts a long line of WAAC members, disappearing into the distance, with WAAC huts positioned in the
The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps was formed in January 1917 and recruited the first women into the British Army to
serve in a non-nursing capacity.
The WAAC provided catering, storekeeping, vehicle maintenance and clerical duties for the British Army, freeing more men to take up combat
roles. In 1918 Queen Mary became patron and the corps was renamed Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.
Over 57,000 women enrolled in the WAAC/QMAAC during the First World War and though not given full military status, often worked close to
the frontline. Three Military Medals were awarded to members for gallantry.
The QMAAC was eventually disbanded in September 1921.