Bomb locator, No 1 Mark 3; control unit and detector unit, both in their original transit cases.
This field equipment detected and measured distortions in the earth's magnetic field for the purpose of locating bombs sub-surface and was issued from the later part of Second World War until the end of the 1960s. The No 1 Mark 3 was a post-war model (1950s and 1960s) and used widely by Royal Engineers units.
Two part field equipment, a control unit and detector unit, each part in original green-painted wooden transit case.
Control unit of green-painted metal, metal handles on each side and two handles on the front. On the top is a clear glass window, screwed in place by 12 screws, revealling two display units with two red LEDs between. Underneath the window stencilled in white paint is: "CONTROL UNITS, LOCATOR BOMB, NO.1 MK.3 ZE 00013" AND "SERIAL NO 038". On the front of the unit are six dials and a small number of flick switches. The front is also stencilled in white paint: "CONTROL UNITS, LOCATOR BOMB, NO.1 MK.3 ZE 00013" AND "SERIAL NO 038" and also "GEC". In addition there is a metal plaque reading impressed and in white paint is: "BRIDGE UNITS, LOCATOR BOMB, NO.1 MK.3 ZE 00072 GEC/57 SERIAL NO 038". Fixed into wooden transit case, painted green, with hinged lid and rope carrying handles. Top is marked in white stencilled paint "LOCATORS BOMB SERIAL NO 203".
Detector unit of white-metal, with black caps at each end and with electrical cord emerging from one end. In wooden transit case, painted green. On the inside of the hinged lid is stencilled "ZE00002".
The Locator Bomb No 1 was first issued to service with Royal Engineer Bomb Disposal units in 1945. The Mark 3 is of a post-war vintage, and this example was manufactured in 1956 by General Electric Corporation (GEC). During and after the Second World War, GEC was a major supplier to the military of electrical and engineering products. Though the exact service history of this item is, as yet, unknown, the Mark 3 is known to have been in service until the late 1960s when German-designed devices (Forster 4015 and 4016) superceded it. German technology in this field had developed at a greater rate than British, simply due to necessity as more unexploded ordnance lay in Germany than Britain after the Second World War.
This kit was to be used by two men, one using the detector unit the other operating the control unit and recording results. From the surface it could detect bombs at depths of up to 18ft. If the target was buried deep, boreholes would be dug and the detector unit lowered into a non-metal tube. By examining the graph the BD techs could distinguish the size, depth, location and even the angle of penetration of ordnance. Locating and excavating unexploded ordnance was made considerably easier and safer than before.
CONTROL UNITS, LOCATOR BOMB, NO.1 MK.3 ZE 00013 SERIAL NO 038
BRIDGE UNITS, LOCATOR BOMB, NO.1 MK.3 ZE 00072 GEC/57 SERIAL NO 038