badge, formation, Australian, HQ 34th Australian Infantry Brigade Group
Shoulder patch to HQ 34 Australian Infantry Brigade Group, being a grey horizontal rectangle onto which stitched centrally a green rectangle.
Worn by HQ 34 Australian Infantry Brigade Group 1945 - 1949. This is similar to wartime signs but clearly less high, hence distinguishable from HQ 15 Australian Infantry Brigade - see Glyde 35/807. As part of the occupation force, the formation was considered part of 2nd AIF and so bore the AIF grey border.
The Brigade was raised in October 1945 as part of the Australian Component, B.C.O.F. (British Commonwealth Occupation Force) of Japan. It comprised the 12/60, 63 & 64 Australian Infantry Battalions.
The Brigade became part of the Australian Regular Army in 1947 and formed the nucleus of HQ 1 Independent Infantrty Brigade Group.