badge, formation, higher command, Australian, Australian Military Forces, AMF, 3rd Military District, Southern Command, Victoria
Shoulder patch to Southern Command / 3rd Military District (Victoria), being five white stars representing the Southern Cross on a blue shield surmounted by a Queen’s crown in blue with white details and red cap of maintenance, all on a light blue or grey square. Woven.
This is the second pattern of the badge, dating from 1953. (See INS 30011 for earlier). The change of design of crown was made on the accession of Queen Elizabeth II. Its design derives from the Arms granted to the State in 1910. The stars, with the crown from the crest, were subsequently incorporated into the second quarter of the national Arms, granted 1912, superseding the Arms granted in 1908.
After WW2, the Australian Military Forces were reorganized. This included the formation of the Australian Regular Army in 1947 and regional Commands to administer the Citizen Military Forces. These Commands were very similar to a system introduced in 1939 but replaced in 1942 by a Corps, Divisional and Line of Communication structure. The Commands were geographically-based roughly equating to State territories. The post-war organization included an additional Command for the Northern Territory. Insignia specific to each Command were adopted between 1950 and 1951. In 1960 the Australia Army again re-organized, this time to an American-based “Pentropic” system, at which time the regional Commands, their associated divisional and brigade formations, and their formation signs, were discontinued.
The date when 3rd Military District became Southern Command (or vice versa?) is not known.