A white metal Royal Armoured Corps headdress badge, being a clenched mailed fist in centre, right hand and palm facing, the letters RAC on a billet on the cuff, two incomplete concentric circles with arrowheads radiate upwards from the wrist, all surmounted by an Imperial (King's) crown. Remnants of a pair of lugs are on the reverse.
The Royal Armoured Corps was created in April 1939 to administer and train all the mechanized cavalry regiments and the Royal Tank Corps (renamed the Royal Tank Regiment to avoid the anomaly of a Corps being part of another Corps) and to be a central recruiting body. In due course all armoured units, with the exception of the Household Cavalry, became part of the RAC.
The first badge adopted was a traditional and uninspired design of a crowned laurel wreath enclosing the Corps' initials. By 1941 a more dynamic badge had been designed and approved, a mailed fist representing armoured power with flanking encircling arrows denoting the manoeuvre potential of mechanized forces. This design was sealed on 3 January 1942.
From the outset the policy adopted was that all cavalry and Yeomanry regiments within the RAC, including the Royal Tank Regiment, were to retain their own cap badges. About half of the thirty-three infantry battalions converted to armour, and which became numbered regiments of the RAC, adopted the RAC badge. The remainder adopted the black beret but retained their previous cap badges, presumably on the precedent of the policy adopted for the cavalry and Yeomanry regiments. The RAC badge was, therefore, worn principally by recruit training units and some RAC HQ staff.
A Queen's crown version of the badge was sealed on 20 June 1958.
The 'Blitz' – from the German term Blitzkrieg ('lightning war') – was the sustained campaign of aerial bombing attacks on British towns and cities carried out by the Luftwaffe (German Air Force) from September 1940 until May 1941.