Rectangular flag, printed, equally divided from top to bottom with bars of black, white and red. The centre has a cutaway 'circle' that imposes over the lower black bar and the upper red and features a black Prussian eagle beneath a yellow Crown, the Crown having two trailing decorative tasselled ribbons falling either side of the eagle's head. To the chest of the eagle is a white shield bearing a smaller black eagle with the black and white chequered arms of the Kingdom of Prussia. Around the neck of the larger eagle is a decorative chain of the Prussian Order of the Black Eagle, in yellow and white details. The flag features a white canvas hoist edge, and the upper horizontal is edged for strength with black tape, sewn along the entire length.
There is much staining and trailing edge of the flag is frayed.
Used between 1892-1919, this type of flag (Reichsdienstflagge im Bereiche des Auswärtigen Amtes) was flown in German colonies and overseas territories where no other flag was appropriate. This example was bought back to England by Lieutenant Colonel J E E Galbraith, captured at New Langenberg, German East Africa, on 29 May 1916. A collection of letters written by Galbraith during his service were presented to the Museum in August, 2000.