A white metal Royal Horse Artillery headdress badge, comprising the 'ERII' cypher within a crowned (Queen's) Garter and motto with scroll below inscribed 'ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY'. A pair of lugs on the reverse.
The Royal Horse Artillery was formed in 1793 and wore the standard Royal Regiment of Artillery headdress badge until 1935 when an alternative badge was adopted for use on certain headdress. This was a Royal cypher within the Garter, surmounted by an imperial (King’s, later Queen’s) crown with below all a scroll inscribed ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY. This badge, mainly those with the George V and Edward VIII cyphers, are believed to have been worn in the foreign service helmet, probably only in India and according to one authority, possibly initially only by E Troop, No. 1 Regiment. A variant of the badge, somewhat slimmer in design and with a George VI cypher, was adopted unofficially during World War Two by other RHA Regiments and worn in the field service cap and later the general service cap (beret-style). These badges were almost certainly produced by the Regiments. An official version of this last badge was produced in both brass and white metal in 1948, similarly with the Queen’s crown and Elizabeth II cypher after 1954. The gun badge is worn with the blue forage cap and SD cap.
HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE
ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY