Long-sleeved shirt of light khaki cotton fabric, featuring a turn-down collar, front fastening of five buttons, button cuffs and a pair of white cotton tying tapes stitched to the rear waist. All buttons are of the white celluloid four-hole variety.
Established in 1917 but disbanded after the First World War, the Women's Land Army was reformed in 1939 as an additional source of valuable agricultural labour. 4,500 'Land Girls' had enrolled by the end of 1939, and numbers swelled to over 86,000 by 1943, ensuring that farms could supply the Nation's population during the U-boat blockades and subsequent food shortages.
A mobile force, members could be posted to anywhere in the country and were paid by the farmers who employed them ( on average £1 2s 6d per 48 hour week with one week for leave each year).