Piece of fabric from the original Wright Flyer, which made its first public flight on 17 December 1903.
When Orville Wright prepared the Kitty Hawk Flyer for public exhibition, the original fabric had to be replaced as it had been under water during the Dayton (Ohio) Flood of 1913. He substituted new fabric of identical material. After his death in 1948, the co-executor of his estate (Harold S. Miller, husband of Ivonette Wright Miller, Orville's niece) found that Orville had preserved some of the original coverings of the wings.
Harold Miller divided the fabric between some of Orville's grandnieces and grandnephews. Milton Wright, Jr. kept his piece of fabric, with a note "Milt Jr. lower right wing", and this is that particular piece of fabric.
The wing fabric used was a 100% cotton muslin called "Pride of the West", commonly used for womens' underwear. It had a warp of 107 threads per inch and a weft of 102 from a total thread count of 209.