buttons, small, British, Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding), soldiers
Box 59: Mounting card captioned "The Duke of Wellingtons Regt (West Riding) Soldiers" on which 7 items, one of which is a pair, (10787-10793). Reverse with a large deposit of green sealing wax on part of which an oval seal with MINISTRY OF DEFENCE / PATTERN ROOM with in the centre ARMY / OFFICERS. Top left, an oval red stamp with "Q (MAINT) 2" / MINISTRY OF DEFENCE" with across the centre "4 May 1970".
Gold anodized aluminium small domed button to soldiers of The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) with a narrow outer rim inside which embossed DUKE OF WELLINGTON'S / WEST RIDING REGT with at the centre an elephant standing on ground, looking left, trunk down, with a howdah on its back. Captioned: Small. Fixed shank to reverse.
The "Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)" was a Regular infantry unit of the British Army from 1881 to 2006.
The elephant symbol derives from the headdress badge of a predecessor regiment, the 76th of Foot.