badge, collar, British, Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding), soldiers
Box 59: Mounting card captioned "The Duke of Wellingtons Regt (West Riding) Soldiers" on which 7 items, one of which is a pair, (10787-10793). Reverse with a large deposit of green sealing wax on part of which an oval seal with MINISTRY OF DEFENCE / PATTERN ROOM with in the centre ARMY / OFFICERS. Top left, an oval red stamp with "Q (MAINT) 2" / MINISTRY OF DEFENCE" with across the centre "4 May 1970".
Facing pair of gold anodized aluminium collar badge to Soldiers of The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding), being an elephant standing on ground, trunk down, with a howdah on its back. Captioned: Collar Badges. Single lug to reverse of each.
In either version, the Elephant and the Crest were worn facing inward. It usually had a red cloth backing.
The elephant of the collar badge derives from the headdress badge of a predecessor regiment, the 76th of Foot. The symbol was granted to the Regiment by George III in 1812, along with the sub-title HINDOOSTAN, in recognition of the unit's twenty years' service in India, 1787 to 1807.
This Elephant and howdah design of collar badge was adopted by the amalgamated 33rd and 76th regiment in 1881. It remained in use until 2006 except for the period 1958 to 1968. During this time all regiments in The Yorkshire Brigade were required to wear the Brigade headdress badge and to differentiate itself from other units in the Brigade the Regiment adopted a new collar badge, essentially the Duke of Wellington's crest from their earlier cap badge, less the title scroll.
When the Duke's crest headdress badge was re-introduced in 1969, it had initially to be worn with the cut-down crest collar badge for want of stocks of the Elephant badge. A new version of the latter was in wear "by mid-1970", despite an apparent official preference for retaining the existing Crest version, presumably "until existing stocks are exhausted".