badge, unit, German, marksmanship lanyard shield, German Army (Third Reich)
Shield associated with the German Army Marksmanship lanyard award, being a white metal shield with patterned surface, on which a raised relief Wehrmacht eagle sitting astride a swastika. To the reverse, evidence that three fixings have been removed. The centre back of the badge carries what appears to be black sealing wax or similar with evidence that a pin had once been fixed there.
This shield is from the lanyard associated with marksmanship awards 1 - 4. In wear from 1936 to December 1938.
In 1936 the marksman lanyard and shield award replaced an earlier marksmanship award of a sleeveband. The new award comprised a common lanyard of semi-bright aluminium cord worn over the right breast, with the shield fixed to the upper portion. Awards 1 - 4 were initially marked by a plain white metal shield bearing a raised design of the Wehrmacht eagle. This was replaced in December 1938 by a white alloy shield with crossed swords enclosed in an oval strap on which a design of oak leaves, a Wehrmacht eagle above. Awards 5 - 8 also had a white alloy shield of similar design but the oval strap was replaced by a full wreath of oak leaves (see INS 20364). Awards 9 - 12 were the same design but in gilt. Awards 1, 5 & 9 were the base awards and subsequent awards within those classes were marked by the addition of various numbers of acorns for small arms, or cannon shells for artillery and armour troops.
In 1939 a new distinction for wear on the lanyard was produced for armoured personnel, which design included the representation of a tank.