badge, headdress, British, Royal Armoured Corps, officers
White metal (possibly slightly tarnished silver) headdress badge to officers of the Royal Armoured Corps, being a clenched right-hand mailed gauntlet, palm outward, on the wrist a tablet embossed RAC, two concentric open circles issue upward from the wrist, the inner pair linked by a St. Edward's (Queen's) crown. Captioned: Headdress. Two loops to reverse. Reverse is inaccessible so no hallmarks or other visible.
Box 3: Mounting card captioned "Royal Armoured Corps Officers", on which 5 items (10037-10041). Towards the centre right front a green sealing wax seal of an oval on which MINISTRY OF DEFENCE / PATTERN ROOM, with across the centre, ARMY / OFFICERS. File reference to bottom left, "54/Rac/205".To reverse, two green sealing wax deposits securing the tape. To the top left corner an oval stamp "Q (Maint) 2 / MINISTRY OF DEFENCE" across the centre "4 May 1970".
The Royal Armoured Corps was formed in April 1939 to incorporate all the mechanized cavalry regiments and the Royal Tank Corps in one group, with the exception of The Household Cavalry.
This badge was adopted in 1941, the armoured fist representing the power of armour and the concentric barbed circles the manoeuvre capabilities of the armoured force.
As of 2005, the badge was not currently in wear, each armoured regiment having its own insignia. It has been worn by the RAC Junior Leaders, the RAC Parachute Squadron and the Special Reconnaissance Squadron RAC. It has sometimes been used by the Armour Centre for demonstrations.