Silver anodised headdress badge to other ranks of the Royal Armoured Corps, being a clenched right-hand mailed gauntlet, palm outward, on the wrist a tablet embossed RAC, two barbed concentric open circles issue upward from the wrist, the inner pair linked by a St. Edward's (Queen's) crown. Captioned: Headdress. Slider to reverse, stamped, partly obscured, J.R. GAUNT LONDON.
Box 3: Mounting card captioned "Royal Armoured Corps Other Ranks", on which 8 items (10025-10032). A file reference at bottom left, "54/Rac/205'. Towards the top right front a green sealing wax seal of an oval on which MINISTRY OF DEFENCE / PATTERN ROOM, with across the centre, ARMY / OFFICERS. To reverse, a green sealing wax deposit securing the cap badge. To the top left corner an oval stamp "Q (Maint) 2 / MINISTRY OF DEFENCE" across the centre "4 May 1970".
The Royal Armoured Corps was formed in April 1939 to incorporate all the mechanized cavalry regiments and the Royal Tank Corps in one group, with the exception of The Household Cavalry.
This badge was adopted in 1941, the armoured fist representing the power of armour and the concentric barbed circles the manoeuvre capabilities of the armoured force.
As of 2005, the badge is not currently in wear, each armoured regiment having its own insignia. It has been worn by the RAC Junior Leaders, the RAC Parachute Squadron and the Special Reconnaissance Squadron RAC. It has sometimes been used by the Armour Centre for demonstrations.