The Stafford Knot with the Prince of Wales's plume, coronet and motto above, below the knot a scroll embossed "NORTH STAFFORD". The knot and coronet in gilding metal, the remainder in white metal.
Badge of pattern worn 1898 to 1958.
The Regiment was formed in 1881 as a result of the Cardwell/Childers reforms by the amalgamation of the 64th (2nd Staffordshire) and 98th (Prince of Wales’s) Regiments of Foot.
The merged Regiment was designated the Prince of Wales’s (North Staffordshire Regiment), adopting as its headdress badge the Prince of Wales’s plumes, coronet and motto scroll (ICH DIEN), deriving from the junior 98th. When headdress changed in 1898 the badge changed, the Staffordshire Knot being placed below the Prince of Wales’s crest and a scroll bearing NORTH STAFFORD was added below all. The Knot derived from an earlier badge of the 64th and was a badge of the de Stafford family, and later of the county.
In 1921 the Regiment was re-designated The North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s), with no change of badge.
In 1958 the North Staffords amalgamated with the South Staffords to become the Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s). This Regiment joined the Mercian Brigade and wore the Brigade badge.
In 1970 the Mercian Brigade was dispersed and the Staffordshire Regiment regained its independence, re-adopting the old North Staffordshire badge, less the regimental title scroll, mostly in anodised aluminium (“staybrite”).
In 2007the Mercian Regiment was formed from previous Mercian Brigade units and the Staffords became “3rd. Battalion the Mercian Regiment (Staffords)” and adopted the Mercian badge.