Anodised aluminium cap badge to the Royal Engineers, the Royal Cypher of Queen Elizabeth II (EIIR) within the voided centre of the Garter, inscribed HONI SOIT QUE MAL Y PENSE, all enclosed within a laurel wreath. Above, and resting on the Garter between the ends of the wreath, a Queen's crown. Below the Garter and resting on the lower portion of the wreath, a scroll bearing ROYAL ENGINEERS. The crown, Garter and scroll in gilt, remainder in silver. Slider to reverse.
Badge of pattern adopted post WW2. Pattern sealed 17 January 1949.
An officer-only Corps of Engineers was formed in 1717 under the Board of Ordnance, gaining the title “Royal” in 1787. In the same year a Corps of Royal Military Artificers was formed, also under the Board. The Board was abolished in 1855 and in 1856 the Artificers (by then called the Royal Corps of Sappers and Miners) were absorbed into the Corps Royal Engineers. The badge adopted was the Royal Cypher (VR) surrounded by a Garter bearing ROYAL ENGINEERS, surrounded by a laurel wreath, a crown above resting on the top of the Garter and between the ends of the wreath.
This badge remains in all essentials to the present day, with only two major changes, both in 1901. Following the death of Queen Victoria the Garter was inscribed HONI SOIT QUE MAL Y PENSE and a scroll was added to the base of the laurel wreath bearing ROYAL ENGINEERS. Otherwise the only changes have been to the Royal Cyphers with the change of monarchs, and the change to a King’s crown in 1901 and a Queen’s crown in 1952.