badge, headdress, British, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Bi-metal badge in the shape of a French horn in brass with the white Rose of York (in white metal) in the twist. Two lugs to reverse.
Badge of the pattern worn 1898 to 1958
The predecessor Regiment was raised in 1755 as the 53rd Regiment of Foot by Colonel Robert Napier, re-numbered 51st in 1757. In 1782 it was re-designated with a county designation as 51st (2nd Yorkshire, West Riding) Regiment. In 1809 the Regiment was re-designated Light Infantry and at around this time it would have adopted the bugle horn emblem common to all Light Infantry units.
In 1821 The Regiment was re-named 51st Foot (2nd Yorkshire West Riding) The King’s Own Light Infantry.
In the 1881 Cardwell reforms the Regiment merged with 105th Foot (Madras Light Infantry) to become the King’s Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment), and at this time adopted a version of the bugle horn with a rose (white rose of Yorkshire) in the centre. In 1887 a slightly revised title was adopted, as the King’s Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry). The final form of the title was taken in 1921 when the brackets were discarded.
In 1958 the Regiment became part of the Light Infantry Brigade, when the regular battalions were expected to adopt the Brigade badge. In 1968 these units became battalions of the newly formed The Light Infantry. The KOYLI was initially the 2nd Battalion The Light Infantry, becoming the 1st Battalion in 1993 with the disbandment of the Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry.