badge, headdress, British, East Yorkshire Regiment
An eight pointed star in yellow metal in the centre of whuich a rose within a laurel-wreath, below this is a scroll inscribed "EAST YORKSHIRE". The rose in white metal, the remainder in gilding metal. Slider to reverse.
Badge of pattern worn 1892 to 1958.
The predecessor Regiment was raised in Nottingham in1685 as Sir William Clifton's Regiment of Foot. In 1747 it was ranked as the 15th of Foot and formally known by that number from 1751. In 1782 it was re-designated the 15th (The Yorkshire, East Riding) Regiment of Foot. In 1805 it served as Marines.
The forming of a second permanent battalion in 1858 saved the Regiment from amalgamation in the Cardwell/Childers reforms of 1881. It was at that time re-named The East Yorkshire Regiment, adopting a badge with an eight-point star and rose (the white rose of Yorkshire), a design carried forward when the badge changed in 1892. In 1935 the Regiment was re-designated The East Yorkshire Regiment (The Duke of York's Own), marking the Silver Jubilee of King George V.
In 1948 the 1st and 2nd Battalions amalgamated and in 1958 the Regiment merged with the West Yorkshire Regiment to form the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire. The new Regiment became part of the Yorkshire Brigade and the regular battalions were expected to wear the Brigade badge. In 1969 the Yorkshire Brigade was broken up and the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire became an independent unit with its own badge.
In 2006 the Yorkshire Regiment was formed, the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire becoming its 1st Battalion, as 1st Battalion (Prince of Wales's Own), The Yorkshire Regiment.