badge, rank, British, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, accounting branch, Lieutenant-Commander
One narrow, straight stripe of gold rank lace onto a white velvet background between two ordinary waved stripes of gold rank lace, embroidered onto a dark blue shoulder board. A Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve button is at the top of the board, consisting of an anchor with wrapped cable, surmounted by a King's crown, surrounded by a 'roped' border with the letters: 'RNV' embossed across the centre, onto a slightly domed surface.
The RNVR was formed in 1903. The uniform of its officers was similar to that of the Royal Navy but with distinctive rank lace and buttons. The special RNVR buttons (RNV superimposed upon foul anchor) were abolished in 1921 and officers were ordered to wear ordinary RN buttons. The special buttons were reinstated in 1951 only to be abolished, again, in 1958 when the RNVR was amalgamated with the RNR, under the latter title.
As the Royal Navy civil branches' uniforms moved closer to those of the executive, new means of distinction were introduced. One such method was to use coloured cloth in the space in between rank stripes. Scarlet was used to denote the medical branch.
The curl in the top rank stripe on the cuffs was granted to engineer officers in 1915 and to all other branches in 1918.
War-time service had demonstrated that braid stripes did not wear well and so in 1915, the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve braid was replaced with waved gold lace. This item, therefore, pertains to uniform design between the years: 1915 - 1918.