badge, rank, British, Royal Naval Reserve, engineering branch, Lieutenant-Commander
One narrow stripe of gold rank braid between two stripes of purple velvet, with a stripe of waved gold rank braid above and below, embroidered onto a dark blue shoulder board. A Royal Naval Reserve button is at the top of the board consisting of an anchor with wrapped cable, surmounted by a King's crown, surrounded by a 'roped' border with the letters: 'RNR' embossed across the centre, onto a slightly domed surface.
As the Royal Navy civil branches' uniforms moved closer to those of the executive, new means of distinction were introduced. One such method was to use coloured cloth in the space in between rank stripes. RNR Engineer and accountant officers wore the same coloured stripes as the Royal Navy. Purple was used to denote the engineering branch.
The curl in the top rank stripe on the cuffs was granted to engineer officers in 1915 and to all other branches in 1918.
The half stripe was awarded to the Royal Naval Reserve in 1913 as a staright stripe of gold braid. War-time service had demonstrated that braid stripes did not wear well and so in 1915, the braid was replaced with intersecting gold lace and the half stripe became a straight stripe, also, of gold lace. It is likely, therefore, that this item pertains to a pre-1915 design (see, also, Contextual notes).