badge, rank, British, Royal Naval Reserve, Lieutenant-Commander
One waved half stripe between two stripes of waved gold rank braid, the upper intersecting to form a star-shaped curl and consisting of two conjoining braids, embroidered onto a dark blue shoulder board. A Royal Naval Reserve button is at the top of the board consisting of an anchor with wrapped cable, surmounted by a King's crown, surrounded by a 'roped' border with the letters: 'RNR' embossed across the centre, onto a slightly domed surface.
The half stripe was awarded to the Royal Naval Reserve in 1913 as a stripe of braid. War-time service had demonstrated that braid stripes did not wear well and so in 1915, the braid was replaced with intersecting gold lace and the half stripe became a straight stripe, also, of gold lace. It is likely, therefore, that this item pertains to a pre-1915 design.