badge, headdress, British, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, officer
'RFA' embroidered in gold wire onto the upper band of a a blue, padded roundel, within a narrow gold wire circular border. At the centre, a silver anchor, with wrapped cable, onto a black background. Surrounded by gold wire laurel leaves and surmounted by a padded Queen's crown with red, gold and green detail. Onto a black, padded, cut-to-shape background.
The Royal Fleet Auxiliary is a civilian operated service. Its primary role is to supply the Royal Navy at sea with food, fuel and ammunition. It also provides aviation support to the Royal Navy and transport and amphibious support to Army units.
As the Navy grew in size, the logistical requirements of its supply became more complex. The supply chain had been serviced by Merchant Navy ships which were owned or chartered by the Admiralty. In 1905, in a bid to attain improved coordiantion, auxiliaries that belonged to the Admiralty were to be styled Royal Fleet Auxiliary with those that were charted remaining the Merchant Fleet Auxiliary and thus the RFA was formed.
This badge, featuring a silver anchor, was authorised between 1905 - 1919.