badge, headdress, British, Royal Naval Reserve, civil branch, officer
'RNR' above a gold anchor, with wrapped cable, within a double-ringed gold wire border, surrounded by laurel leaves and surmounted by a King's crown with red, gold, green and blue detail. Embroidered onto a padded, cut-to-shape, black background.
The Royal Naval Reserve was formed in 1859 from men in the merchant service. It was amalgamated with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, under the title Royal Naval Reserve, in 1958. The uniform was to follow that of the Royal Navy.
Royal Navy caps were first introduced to supplement the cocked hat, as worn by naval officers. An extensive reorganisation of uniform in 1856 established the badge upon which Royal Navy cap badges remain based: anchor, surmounted by a crown and surrounded by laurel leaves.
Executive officers were distinguished from civil branches with a cap badge that consisted of a crown embroidered in gold and silver as opposed to one that was embroidered in gold only. In 1915, Engineer officers of the Royal Navy and Reserves received the executive cap badge with all other civil branches following in 1918.