badge, trade, British, Royal Navy, Torpedo branch, Underwater Weapon Rating
A vertical harpoon and coil superimposed upon a pair of diagonally crossed torpedoes, surmounted by a small six-pointed star and above the letter: 'W'. Embroidered in red onto a dark blue, flat, rectangular, with a curved top, trade badge. To be worn on working blue uniform.
The large variety of duties required in a ship of war necessitated the allocation of men for specific duties. The importance of these tasks would dictate grade and pay and badges were employed, and regularly altered, for identification.
In 1903, gunnery and torpedo branches were reorganised. Previously Gunnery school training had included torpedoes and devices were worn displaying both weapons. Once the branches became independent, badges were supplied which displayed only one of the weapons. Up until 1944, the Torpedo branch held responsibility for electrical matters of the Royal Navy. Upon the creation of an electrical branch, a Torpedo-anti-submarine branch was also formed and new badges were created to represent these different specialisations.
This badge has had the following trade titles: Underwater Weapon Rating, 3rd Class, Royal Naval Reserve 1956 - 1960; Underwater Weapon Rating 1957 - .