badge, rank, British, Royal Naval Reserve, engineer branch, Sub-Lieutenant
One ordinary waved stripe of intersecting gold rank lace, with interlocking triangles forming a star-shaped curl, embroidered onto a dark blue shoulder strap above one stripe of purple. A Royal Naval Reserve button, with RNR superimposed upon a foul anchor, with wrapped rope, surrounded by a rope border and surmounted by a King's crown embossed onto the surface, is at the top of the board.
As the Royal Navy civil branches' uniforms moved closer to those of the executive, new means of distinction were introduced. One such method was to use coloured cloth in the space in between rank stripes. RNR Engineer and accountant officers wore the same coloured stripes as the Royal Navy. Purple was used to denote the engineering branch.
The distinctive Royal Naval Reserve buttons ('RNR' superimposed upon a foul anchor) were abolished in 1921 and reintroduced between 1951 - 1958. The curl in the top rank stripe on the cuffs was granted to engineer officers in 1915 and to all other branches in 1918. As such, this item can be dated between the years 1918 – 1921 or between 1951 – 1958.