Godsal rifle. Rotating safety on right of body, magazine cut-off is sliding plate
The Godsal rifle was the brainchild of noted marksman, Major Philip Godsal. Originally produced in 1902, this example exhibits features which appeared in a subsequent patent of 1904.
Two of Godsal's sons rose to prominence during the First World War - one being Captain of HMS Vindictive at the Ostend operation and another making an escape from a German POW camp.
1) stamped under butt
2) engraved on bolt
3) engraved on one side of safety catch
4) engraved on barrel
5) stamped on left of receiver ring
6) stamped right of receiver ring
2) GODSAL PATENT over No. 22003. Dated 1902.
4) WEBLEY & SCOTT LTD 78 SHAFTSBURY AVENUE LONDON & BIRMINGHAM
6) British proof mark