Sign and frame: rectangular metal sign bearing a painting of a foxhound, in natural colours, on a landscape with blue sky. The sign is framed in oak salvaged from the ruins of the Cloth Hall, Ypres. The sign measures 16 x 12 inches. On the back of the sign is a handwritten label bearing the following inscription: 'The artist was Colonel Magnus commanding a Labour Battalion, who had been on the staff of the 'Sporting & Dramatic'
This is the original artwork for the Corps Sign. The sign in a simplified form was the insignia of XXII Corps 1917 - 1918, under command of General Sir Alexander Godley KCB KCMG. The design (by Colonel Magnus) was selected as there were two Masters of Foxhounds on the Corps' Staff. It was regarded by some as a portent of the hounding of the Germans once a successful offensive took place. The Corps was formed in Egypt in March 1916, when it was known as Second (II) ANZAC Corps. II Anzac Corps joined the British Expeditionary Force in France in June 1916, and was renamed XXII Corps in December 1917. Colonel Magnus, commanded a Labour battalion in the Corps, and had been an artist on the staff of the 'Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News'. General Sir Alexander Godley was appointed General Officer Commanding (GOC) the New Zealand Military Forces in 1910. He commanded them throughout the First World War. He also served as GOC II ANZAC Corps and later in XXII Corps.
Polaroid photo in signs card index
Ink, manuscript (Godley's handwritten note)
The artist was Colonel Magnus commanding a Labour Battalion, who had been on the staff of the 'Sporting & Dramatic' (label on back of sign)