Description: introduced by W.W. Greener in 1900 for a very successful range of cadet, target and sporting rifles built on the miniature Martini hinged block action. In performance, this cartridge falls between the .300 Rook and the .300 Sherwood. Large numbers of these rifles were purchased by the Australian Government for Cadet use, and, when eventually sold as surplus after the Second World War, were purchased by civilian hunters and collectors. During the Second World War when a Japanese invasion of Australia was feared, the rifle was issued to some home service units with a fully jacketed bullet to comply with the Hague and Geneva Conventions, although its terminal performance was only equivalent to that of a powerful revolver. The 'ICI' marking on this specimen indicates manufacture in or later than 1926.
1) stamped, case base, headstamp
2) stamped, primer