medal and ribbon
circular medal in silver (36mm diameter). The obverse bears the crowned head (left profile) of King George VI and the legend: 'GEORGIVS VI D:G:BR:OMN:REX ET INDIAE IMP:'. The reverse design comprises St George on horseback, driving his lance into the body of a writhing dragon. In the background, forming the horizon line, the sea. Reverse text (around edge): 'THE GEORGE MEDAL'. Plain circular suspender ring. Red and blue ribbon (red with five narrow blue stripes, 1.5mm wide). This medal is named to the recipient as follows (engraved on rim): 'EDWARD JOHN MORRISON'
Edward John Morrison (1908-1971) was a member of the London Auxiliary Ambulance Service, based at LCC Auxiliary Ambulance Station No. 149, Walworth LCC Central School, Girls' Department, Mina Road, SE17
Date of action: night of 16/17 April 1941.
Date of Gazette: 26 September 1941
During an air raid three women were trapped in the basement of a demolished house. Driver Morrison volunteered to rescue them and scrambled through a hole in the wreckage where he found the women trapped under a beam. The only way Morrison could lift it was to crawl under one end and, taking the full weight of it on his shoulders, force it up sufficiently to release the victims. Debris was continually falling but after nearly three hours work the casulaties were brought out safely. Driver Morrison showed great courage and by his efforts three lives were saved.
A Press cutting adds the detail that the rescue was on the night of 16/17 April 1941.
Medal box also contains ribbon pieces for the Defence Medal 1939-45 and the War Medal 1939-45