whole: the image occupies the whole, held within a green border. The title is integrated and positioned in the centre
right, in white outlined black. The text is integrated and positioned in the lower quarter, in yellow, in yellow outlined red, and in red
outlined black. The emblem of the YWCA is positioned in the upper left.
image: three-quarter length depictions of two members of Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps, their heads turned to face the viewer. They
wear overcoats and hats, and gesture towards a well lit YWCA hut in the background. Behind the hut, trees and the moon are visible against
a dark blue night sky.
HELP OUR WOMEN WAR WORKERS
WARMTH AND WELCOME IN HUTS
AT HOME AND ABROAD
ISSUED BY THE Y.W.C.A. 26 GEORGE ST., HANOVER SQUARE, LONDON. W.1.
The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps was formed in January 1917 and recruited the first women into the British Army to
serve in a non-nursing capacity.
The WAAC provided catering, storekeeping, vehicle maintenance and clerical duties for the British Army, freeing more men to take up combat
roles. In 1918 Queen Mary became patron and the corps was renamed Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.
Over 57,000 women enrolled in the WAAC/QMAAC during the First World War and though not given full military status, often worked close to
the frontline. Three Military Medals were awarded to members for gallantry.
The QMAAC was eventually disbanded in September 1921.