THE WORK OF THE VOLUNTARY AID DETACHMENT (VAD) IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR
From left to right: Major Cuff, Colonel Meadows, Captain Rogerson, Captain Craig, unknown, Captain Cooper, Captain Henderson of the RAMC, No. 1 Stationary Hospital, Abbeville.
The Royal Army Medical Corps was supplemented by the efforts of several voluntary organisations. In 1909-1910 the War Office requested that County Associations, British Red Cross Society and the Ambulance Department of the Order of St John Of Jerusalem were asked to co-operate. The VAD movement was administered by the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John.