THE WORK OF THE VOLUNTARY AID DETACHMENT (VAD) IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR
Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) members Nevill and Wickstead at No. 2 Stationary Hospital, Abbeville.
In 1909-1910 the War Office requested that County Associations, British Red Cross Society and the Ambulance Department of the Order of St John Of Jerusalem co-ordinate their activities. The VAD movement was administered by the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John. It was decided that St John and British Red Cross members would retain their distinctive, pre-war, colours. The Order of St John of Jerusalem members wore black and white or grey while the Red Cross wore blue and red.