THE WORK OF THE VOLUNTARY AID DETACHMENT (VAD) IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR
Group of Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) members at the 1st Northumbrian Field Ambulance (Jesmond Road, Newcastle), Royal Army Medical Corps.
The Royal Army Medical Corps was supplemented by the efforts of several voluntary organisations. In 1909-1910 the War Office requested that County Associations, British Red Cross Society and the Ambulance Department of the Order of St John Of Jerusalem co-ordinate their activities. The VAD movement was administered by the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John.
Each Infantry Division had 3 Field Ambulances attached. A chain of medical establishments stretching from the front line back to hospitals in England was established wherever the British Army was deployed. If an injury could not be sufficiently attended to by the Regimental Aid post (first in the chain), the next stage was the Field Ambulance who were also responsible for a number of evacuation points (e.g Casualty Clearing Station). General and Stationary hospitals were the last stop on the casualty evacuation chain.