Cody aircraft mark II stood outside the shed on Laffan's Plain, with a crowd of civilian onlookers stood in front. Cody built this aircraft in 1910; the previous aircraft had been in several crashes and was suffering generally from constant usage. The design of this aircraft followed similar lines to the previous one though the wingspan was shorter by around six feet and the wing area around a third smaller.
The single propeller was originally intended to be powered by two 60 hp Green engines (mark IIA) though problems with synchronicity meant that this was never carried out. This did mean that the aircraft was underpowered though alterations to the engine and the removal of excess weight partly solved this problem (marks IIB to IID). When this engine was replaced with a 120 hp Austro-Daimler, the aircraft performed well, and in January 1912 carried Cody and four passengers. It was eventually crashed by Lieut. J N Fletcher on the 5th April whilst Cody was teaching him to fly. It was also in this aircraft that Cody won his first Michelin Trophy.
Note the mid wing balancing planes are mainly protruding over the wing tip and no appendage on the rudder. In other versions of this mark the balancing planes protrude much less and there is a horizontal appendage on the rudder. This reflects the constant tinkering that Cody carried out on his aircraft to obtain better performance and handling. Very similar to RAE-O 342.