Oblique aerial view of Bawdsey Manor, Suffolk, taken by a Felixstowe F2A flying boat of No. 230 Squadron RAF. The Manor was built in 1886 and enlarged in 1895 as the principal residence for Sir. Cuthbert Quilter. During the First World War the grounds and stables were requisitioned by the Devonshire Regiment, after which it was returned to the Quilter family. In 1935 the Bawdsey Manor Estate was selected as the site for a new research station for the development of radio direction finding, (radar).