A parchment Torah scroll that has two wooden rollers and crowns.
This Torah scroll is on Loan to IWM from The Memorial Scrolls Trust www.memorialscrollstrust.org.
It is number MST 274 in their catalogue
The scroll is dated from c. 1800 and originates from the Jewish community in Breznice.
In 1942 it was sent to the Central Jewish Museum in Prague as part of a scheme to safeguard the artifacts of the deserted Jewish Communities resulting from the deportations by the Nazis. Among them were about 1800 Torah Scrolls. Each was meticulously recorded on a card index by the Museum's staff with a description of the Scroll and the place from which it came.
It was not reclaimed by a Jewish community following the war.
IIn 1956-59 they were transferred to the synagogue in Michle, a Prague suburb, by 1960 the Jewish Musuem. In 1964 the Jewish Museum in Prague became the State Jewish Museum.
In 1963 Eric Estorick, a London art dealer, was offered the opportunity to purchase the 1,564 Scrolls of the Law, stored by the Museum. He contacted a client, Ralph Yablon, who in turn approached Harold Reinhart, Rabbi of Westminster Synagogue. Together they asked Chimen Abramsky, a Hebrew scholar, to go to Prague and examine the scrolls.
Through the generosity of Ralph Yablon, 1564 scrolls were bought and transported to the Synagogue, from where, through the vision of Rabbi Reinhart and the meticulous administrative work of Ruth Shaffer, they were sent out to synagogues and organisations across the world
The Memorial Scrolls Trust was set up to distribute those available on permanent loan, manage their care ensuring their legacy was not forgotten, and reallocating those returned due to communities closing or merging.