RECONDITIONING OF CAPTURED GUNS AND CONSTRUCTION OF VEHICLE BATTERIES [Allocated Title]
Two silent film sequences showing captured Axis artillery being reconditioned in North Africa, and the construction of vehicle batteries.
I. Tracking shots of numerous captured 5cm Pak 38 anti-tank guns lined up a desert location (Libya or Tunisia). Also visible are a heavier gun - possibly a 7.62cm Pak 36(r) - and a light artillery piece. Parts of guns and mortar bipods (without their mortars) lie in disordered piles. In a workshop lit by artificial light, a British officer in uniform instructs three Africans (possibly Egyptians) in training medium anti-aircraft guns. Welding and general maintenance are carried out on Pak 50s by British and African troops. Regimental Sergeant Major (Royal Engineers ?) watches as men clean gun breech. Soldier cleans barrel with long implement; shot from inside of gun barrel shows rifling. Egyptian with wavy hair works on lathe. British soldier checks shrapnel damage on one of the guns; another gun is inspected by two soldiers (one in a beret) and two Egyptians. One of the renovated guns is pushed into a storage building by two British men, whilst an African sits on the barrel; inside, many of the Pak 50 guns are lined up, the ends of their barrels covered with protective bags. Some of the African troops in hats and woollens polish guns, and a British soldier makes notes in a booklet. (Several feet of blank leader follows.)
II. Sequence showing the production of vehicle batteries: scrap metal is smelted in an outdoor furnace, and the molten metal poured into moulds and made into mesh plates, which are trimmed. These are then fixed together in layers and the assembled units carefully fitted into battery housings (which have the Ford logo upon their sides). The finished batteries have identifying letters stencilled upon them.
The 'Blitz' – from the German term Blitzkrieg ('lightning war') – was the sustained campaign of aerial bombing attacks on British towns and cities carried out by the Luftwaffe (German Air Force) from September 1940 until May 1941.