In addition to their own large number of allocations, the Ministry of Works were keen to get large numbers of pictures to distribute to sites internationally. It was suggested they might borrow some pictures from the residual works given to the IWM.
In 1947, the Curator of Pictures at the Ministry of Works asked to return some pictures to the IWM due to lack of facilities to store and care for them. 25 works were returned in January 1948. There were frequent mix-ups over picture numbers and whereabouts.