John Worsley regularly submitted drawings whilst serving in the Navy, and much of the correspondence refers to these purchases, as follows:
· LD 220-227 for 15 guineas, May 1940 (4)
· LD 297-299 for 5 guineas, July 1940 (10)
· LD 318-320 for 5 guineas, August 1940 (15)
After this last acquisition, Worsley complained about the price paid for the pictures "almost like buying rabbits, or saucepans, or something!" (17) and pointed out that drawings made on active service were comparatively rare.
· LD 984-986 for 37 guineas, 1941 (984 for 30 guineas, the other pair for 7 guineas) (23)
· LD 1693-1694 for 7 guineas, Jan 1942 (29)
· LD 2280-2287 for 20 guineas, July 1942 (30)
When a war artists' exhibition was lost en route to South America in 1942, one of Worsley's pictures, The Last of the Laurentic' (IWM:ART LD 984) was among the works lost, and the committee asked that he repaint it (31) in September 1942.
· LD 2980-2983 for 10 guineas, May 1943 (37)
· LD 3012 for 40 guineas, June 1943, and a replica of Last of the Laurentic' for 30 guineas (41)
· LD 3149 for 30 guineas, August 1943 (46)
Worsley was selected to be an Admiralty artist in South East Asia (45), but before he could take this up, he was reported missing, in November 1943, and was found to be a prisoner in Germany. Worsley managed to continue to draw in the camp, and a large number of these drawings were acquired LD 5109-5156 were purchased for £200 in May 1945, and in July 1945, a further £75 was paid for drawings of prison camp subjects done since his return. In his letter at (91), Worsley expresses his disappointment that none of his prison camp drawings are on display at the National Gallery: "I took so much trouble, and underwent such considerable hazard
to get them out of Germany and in a small way justify my capture
After his return, Worsley was commissioned to make further drawings, mostly portraits LD 5303 (80), LD 5577 (97), LD 5691 (82) and LD 5802 (99).
Other correspondence concerns reproductions of pictures, and other enquires. The file ends with a copyright form for LD 5109-5156.